Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Weakerthans




Today, we are going to go on a journey up to our friends in the north, Canada. Here is a group that i feel is not represented enough out there on the web. The band is The Weakerthans. For many years i thought that they where me and my friends little secret until i saw some girl who i knew did not really know anything about underground music wearing their t-shirt. I then found out that the Weakerthans had actually had some pretty good success.

I really like the first two weakerthan's cds. I like left and leaving more in the beginning then i got into fallow. check them out if you have not heard of them. John K. Samson's lyric's are amazing. Wikipedia says that, The band was formed in 1997 in Winnipeg, Manitoba by John K. Samson, after he left the punk band Propagandhi to start a publishing company. Samson joined forces with bassist John P. Sutton and drummer Jason Tait, and created The Weakerthans as a vehicle for a more melodic and introspective brand of songwriting than that of Propagandhi.

I have included the Propagandhi song that was also on Fallow. This will be with the Reconstruction site link. I did not have enough room to put it on the first two albums link. I also put in the Red Army Faction ep with hot water music, avail, and discount. check it out.


Left and leaving and Fallow minus anchorless


Reconstruction Site Red Army Faction

1 comment:

gabbagabbahey said...

really like this band; regarding their success, I heard of and got into them via Reconstruction Site being on Epitaph - I probably wouldn't have known about them then, or at least not until later, if it wasn't for that. I'd never listened to Propaghandi either (they're not really my thing)

for a while this band, Jets to Brazil and the Promise Ring (specifically Wood/Water) were really exciting new finds for me.

didn't know about that split with HWM, Avail etc. I see it's still available on 7" from No Idea, so I might buy it if I particularly like it.